Overseas Nurses: Migrating to Australia…
Migrating to Australia…
Navigating Australia’s immigration regulations can be very time consuming and at times, a little complex! So we are here to help guide you through the process. Our Group HR staff can advise which visa is most suitable for you and the best way to go about applying. In most cases, overseas employees we hire, will have their visa process and application managed by our own Ramsay staff to save you the cost of engaging a migration agent to represent you. So what are the next steps …?
- Decide which location of Australia you would like to live and work - look at all of the Ramsay Health Care hospitals across Australia - www.ramsayhealth.com.au
- If you are serious about working in Australia as a nurse, contact the Australian Nursing & Midwifery Board to obtain information and application instructions for registration for overseas nurses. Lodge your nursing registration application as soon as possible … you do not need a job to apply to be a nurse in Australia but having obtained your registration will make it much easier for you to source a role with a Ramsay hospital. See the link below to the Australian Nursing & Midwifery Board.
- Browse the Australian Department of Immigration & Citizenship (DIAC) website – www.immi.gov.au – here you will find information on the various types of visas available and comprehensive step by step guidelines on how to apply for a working visa, should you decide to handle on your own – look for information on the Long Stay (Business) Working Visa 457 … this is the easiest way for overseas nurses to enter Australia and work in our hospitals. This is also the visa that we use should you be successful in securing a role with one of our hospitals.
- Apply directly to Ramsay using the online application process below.
CRITERIA FOR OVERSEAS NURSES
- You must be eligible for nursing registration in Australia – see step 2 above and get your nursing registration lodged as quickly as you can so you have the surety that you meet this criteria.
- You must have some relevant experience in high acuity settings – there are rarely vacancies in sub-acute areas.
- If you have specialised in aged care settings, then we cannot help you to obtain a role. Ramsay does not own aged care facilities – we own medical/surgical hospitals, mental health clinics and specialist rehabilitation hospitals. You should have relevant experience in these areas to obtain a role within our group of hospitals.
- We also have opportunities for newly graduated nurses – click here to obtain information on how to apply for our unique graduate nursing program called “Gradplus”
Qualified, overseas nurses who wish to secure a permanent position within one of the Ramsay Health Care private hospitals in Australia, are able to apply directly online by clicking here - online applications are preferred.
Interesting Facts about Australia
- Total Population: 22,000,000
- Gross national income per capita: A$37,250
- Life expectancy at birth (years): 79 males / 84 females
- Total expenditure on health per capita: A$3,123
- Total expenditure on health as a % of GDP: 8.9%
** Figures are for 2008/2009 and quoted from the Australian Bureau of Statistics, WHO and OECD data
For information on Australia and its social trends, please visit the Australian Bureau of Statistics website, http://www.abs.gov.au/
- Immigration information for Nurses
- Immigration information – Moving to Australia
- Department of Immigration
- Application for Temporary Working Visa 457
Australian Nursing & Midwifery Board … to gain registration to practice as a nurse in Australia
Australian Nursing & Midwifery Board
- Royal College of Nursing Australia
- College of Nursing
- Australian College of Critical Care Nurses
- Australian College of Operating Room Nurses